5 Second Rule – South African Travel Edition
Board Games: 5 Second Rule South African Travel Edition
For 3 to 6 Players Ages 8 – Adult
It should be easy to name 3 South African foods starting with “B” – but can you do it under the pressure of 5 seconds twisting down, and with the other players staring at you, waiting for you to get flustered?
Time is not on your side, so just say what comes to mind and risk ridiculous answers slipping out as time twirls down on the unique twisted timer.
Contents: 376 Questions Cards (752 questions)
12 PASS ON Cards
12 SWITCH Cards
6 Playing Pawns
1 Playing Board
1 Spiral Timer
The object of the Game
To correctly answer the most questions by giving three answers before the balls twist down to the bottom of the timer.
1. Place the cards into the card box. All the cards should have the same colour facing the front/draw end. Note that the card box does not hold all the cards and there are more that can be used when required.
2. Place the card box and the timer in the middle of the table where everyone can reach them.
3. Each player chooses their colour of playing pawn and places it at the START position on the board.
4. Each player is dealt 2 PASS ON cards and 2 SWITCH cards.
1. The youngest player is first in the Hot Seat, and play will move to the left.
2. The player to the right of the Hot Seat Player draws a card and reads it aloud. All Cards begin with “Name 3……” followed by random categories. For example, the Card may read, “Name 3 Famous Michaels”.
3. The player that reads the question should then start the timer by flipping it over. The player in the Hot Seat has 5 seconds to give three answers. For example, you could answer, “Michael Schumacher, Michael Jackson, Michael Crawford”. If you say three answers before all of the balls reach the bottom of the timer, you get to move forward one space on the board.
4. If another player deems an answer given to be questionable, the group as a whole should decide if the answer is acceptable.
5. If the player in the Hot Seat is only able to name one of two answers before 5 seconds are up, they get no points and play moves to the left. The next player then gets 5 seconds to try to answer the same question. The tricky part is that the new player in the Hot Seat cannot use any answers that were previously used for that card. For example, if the first player answers, “Michael Schumacher and Michael Jackson”, the next player must answer three different Michaels such as, “Michael Ball, Michael Douglas, Michael Bolton”.
6. Play continues around the circle until someone can name three in 5 seconds and moves forward one space on the board.
7. If play gets back to the original player without anyone naming three in 5 seconds, that player gets to move forward one space.
8. The person to the left of the original player then becomes the new player in the Hot Seat and gets to start with a different card. The player to their right draws a card, reads it aloud then turns over the timer and so the play continues.
Winning the Game
Players progress along the board until they reach FINISH. The first player to get there wins the game.